Sunday 8 January 2012

The Importance of Being Earnest


Two things:
  1. Being Earnest is VERY important.
  2. I am now in love with Oscar Wilde.

I know I'm not the first heterosexual woman to make this declaration of a long dead gay male writer but oh my goodness!

The wit!

The words!

The waistcoats! Oh, the waistcoats!

We're living in a fascist dictatorship now, right?

That's what all the papers and crazy national and international 1984-type laws being introduced seem to be indicating.

If this is the case, who is in charge?

I need to talk to them about making it mandatory for all men - ALL MEN - to wear three piece suits at all times.

Hot.
Damn.

And Geoffrey Rush as Lady Bracknell?
Perfect.
Just perfect.

I am, of course, hopelessly in love with the completely useless Algie.

Partly because of the character, partly because of Patrick Brammall and A LOT because he seemed to be channelling Hugh Laurie's Bertie Wooster for his performance.

I mean look at him!

Just look at him!

He's a complete waster and you'd either have to restrict him to an allowance or prepare yourself for the poor house but I just want to tip him onto a picnic blanket and hand-feed him dainties by a river*.

The whole cast was magnificent and the set was inspired.

I haven't been to the theatre in a while and almost missed out because of the sheer speed at which the original shows sold out, but luckily they extended the season and I pounced.

I am so glad I did because it was just such a wonderful production that I could have watched over and over again.




*This may seem to support the 'all ladies like bastards' school of thought but in my experience, most of them only like fictional bastards. In real life Algie would either be under the thumb or out on his ear. Fictional Algie is like a puppy you can't get cross at for widdling on the rug.

No comments: